K Visa — Spouse Or Fiance Of U.S. Citizen

K nonimmigrant visas may be issued to expedite the admission of people who are either engaged to be married to U.S. citizens (K-1) or are already married to U.S citizens (K-3). The K visa is issued at a consular post outside of the U.S., and upon the alien’s arrival in the United States, the alien may adjust his or her status to lawful permanent resident through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

For personalized and experienced service, contact the Law Offices of Robert P. Gaffney at 415-503-9653. From our San Francisco offices, we provide exceptional counsel to clients around the world on all family immigration matters. Our lawyers can help.

K-1 Classification

With a K-1 visa, an alien fiance(e) may travel to the United States to marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of entry.

K-3 Classification

A K-3 visa may be issued to the alien spouse of a U.S. citizen after the U.S. citizen has filed an immigrant visa petition on behalf of the alien. The K-3 visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place.

The Application Process

Both K-1 and K-3 visas require a petition (Form I-129F for a fiancé (e) and spouses, as well as Form I-130 for spouses.) Applicants and sponsors must also provide documentation to the USCIS for admission, including:

  • Birth certificates
  • Evidence of a “good faith” relationship and (for K-3) marriage certificate
  • Proof of termination of any prior marriages
  • Evidence of financial responsibility
  • Medical examination
  • Police clearances

Contact Expert Service

Applying for K nonimmigrant visas can be challenging and may not be the best option in all marriage-based cases. Our attorneys provide personalized counsel to avoid unnecessary case delays and obtain favorable outcomes. Contact our firm online for boutique-level service from our immigration experts. Or call our offices in California directly at 415-503-9653.