What are a few types of temporary work visas?

On Behalf of | Aug 20, 2019 | Temporary Work Visa

If you are looking into getting a temporary work visa so you can be employed in California, you actually have several to choose from. Each visa suits a different purpose and situation, and what works for one may not be the best for you or vice versa.

FindLaw takes a look at temporary worker visas, both common and ones that are seen a little less often. The most common visas are called the “H” type. They come in several different classifications:

The H-1A visa is for registered nurses who respond when there is a shortage of nurses in a crisis area.

H-1B is for specialty or “professional” occupations. To qualify, your knowledge must be highly specialized. The field itself must also require a bachelor’s degree, meaning your position requires specialized knowledge and then demands the application of it.

H-2 visas are for agricultural jobs, or other fields where there are not enough workers within the U.S. already.

Some of the lesser known visas include the L-1, O, P, and R. L-1 visas apply to intra-company transferees, i.e. if you work in one branch of a company and are being transferred to another branch in another country. This most often applies to executives, managers, or employees with specialized knowledge.

O visas can be used by people with “extraordinary ability” in the sciences, arts, business and education, or athletics. P visas allow for entertainment or athletic groups or individuals who have international recognition. R visas cover religious workers. Of these visas, you will likely be able to find one that suits you well.