What visa works well for entrepreneurs?

On Behalf of | Oct 9, 2023 | Employment Immigration

Entrepreneurs know the dangers of standing still. When it comes to business innovations, if you stand still, you go backwards. The need to constantly move forward and grow is vital and can also serve as a major problem, especially when looking to expand into other countries.

A prime example are the many hurdles that come with expanding business operations into the United States.

Can I expand business operations into the United States?

The first and most important hurdle is whether or not getting business operations established in the United States is a viable option. This is a common question and in many cases the answer is yes. Business owners and executives looking to take advantage of opportunities in the United States are not alone. The Commercial Section of U.S. Embassies and Consulates outside of the U.S. can often provide useful information about starting a business in the U.S.  Foreign branches of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce may also provide services to persons and businesses seeking to go into business in the United States. An attorney can review your goals and provide guidance with your business plans in mind.

Can I move to the United States?

In some cases, an existing business persons looking to expand into the United States may also obtain visas that allow them to enter the U.S. to manage and direct the activities of their U.S. business. Those who already have an established business and are looking to open an office in the United States may qualify for an L-1 nonimmigrant visa.  There are many requirements, but this type of visa essentially allows for an executive or manager to come to the United States to establish a business office while using their own company as a sponsor. It also allows flexibility as, if approved, the visa allows the entrepreneur to continue to travel between the United States and other countries.

If approved, for a start up U.S. business the visa is generally granted for one year and can be extended up to a maximum of seven years. The visa holder can also often bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21.

This information is not intended to constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between Law Offices of Robert P. Gaffney and anyone else. This information is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice based on an individual or organization’s particular facts and circumstances, and it should not be considered as such.